Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Boston Cream Cupcake = Heaven

Last week my co-worker, Amber, and I walked over to the cupcake truck. Yes the cupcake truck. The wonderful people over at So Cupcake (you might remember them from our annual birthday cupcake excursions) drive around town delivering and selling sugary goodness. Bless them. I had their Boston cream cupcake and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since.

Fast forward to today.  A friend of mine pinned a Boston cream cupcake and I took that as a sign that I just had to make them. I decided to at least pretend that they were - maybe not healthy - but not as bad for you as they could be. I started with the Joy of Baking vanilla cupcake recipe. But made a few adjustments:

1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup of apple sauce 
1/3 cup granulated white sugar, scant
1/3 cup Swerve
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla paste
1 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flouer
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk

The apple sauce gives them a nice chewy texture and obviously cuts down on the fat. I won the Swerve from the amazing Darla over at Bakingdom.com and have used it a few times. So far we've only tried half and half and you can't taste the difference at all.

Cream the butter, apple sauce, sugar, Swerve. Add one egg at a time. Add vanilla paste. Sift dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients and milk to the butter mixture, alternating (I had three little helpers for this! Baby L really seemed to enjoy baking with the girls). Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Let the cupcakes cool completely. Be sure to take them out of the cupcake pan. I've noticed when I use apple sauce and then leave them in the pan the cupcakes tend to get soggy.


Make some chocolate ganache. I used the Joy of Baking recipe and it was the PERFECT consistency. I will never ever use another ganache recipe. I only made half and it was just the right amount for 12 cupcakes. 

Next (here's where I cheated) I mixed two packets for ready made snack pack vanilla pudding with equal amounts of cool whip. If I were really trying to impress you I would have made a vanilla custard with real whip cream but I was lazy. Be careful when you fold in the cool whip. Next cut out a hole in your cupcakes and fill them with the pudding mixture.




Once your ganache has cooled to a spreadable consistency you can top the cupcakes. I cut the very top off of the center part of the cupcake and put it back over the filling. You don't have to do this. 


All that's left is to try and eat just one. I really loved this because the cupcake was moist and not overly sweet. And the cool whip mixed into the pudding made it light and delicious. 





1 comment: