Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ethnic Food

As you all know I joined a bookclub a few months back. I found this bookclub through meetup.com. Since then I've checked out a couple other groups on meetup that looked interesting to me. The first was mommy group that I joined and quickly unjoined - no point in being part of a group who only meet mid-mornings during the work week. Then I started looking at singles groups. Mostly they were disturbing and depressing but a few gave me a good laugh. I found one that was geared towards 30 somethings looking for a bit of culture. They have an "ethnic food" night every so often where they meet up at a restaurant that boasts ethnic cuisine. This looked interesting to me since we all know how much I LOVE food. However I was sorely disappointed when I saw that their upcoming meeting was to be held at Buca di Peppos. Don't get me wrong I like Buca's well enough, but 1) it's a chain and 2) how can lasagna and spaghetti be considered ethnic?! I didn't want to write these people off entirely though and so a few weeks later I checked back and their next "ethnic night" was Pat's barbecue. Granted southerners are weird and the culture can be bizarre but come on they're part of the United States of America! That's not ethnic!

But really who needs to meet up with strangers for questionably ethnic food when I live with my mom. In the last 2 weeks we've had our own ethnic food nights. The first was Korean night where we had bulgogi (korean bbq), bebimbop (a sort of deconstructed korean fried rice), and kimchi fried rice. It was delicious!




Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing





Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


Then last night we traveled 5,000 miles from Korea to the middle east. My mom made (all from scratch) pita bread, baba ghanoush (a hummus like dip only it's made with eggplant), falafels (meatless meatballs), a cucumber dip, and best of all baklava! It was fan-freaking-tabulous! The next day we went to a middle eastern grocery store and found some delicious freshly made Iraqi flat bread that we ate with a white bean hummus. 




Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing




Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing




Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


So honestly people if you're going to go ethnic PLEASE don't call dominio's pizza and think that will cut it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment