Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Rissa!!

My big sis -  from RaeGun Wear - turned the big Three Oh today.


Her hubster - the equally popular Fisch (Daniel) the Music Maker - my mom, myself, and her two friends  conspired to throw her a surprise party! I'll do a real post later for you but first let's talk food. The theme of the party was fried food - so perfect if you know my sister. And of course I had to make my famously yummy Fried Cream Cheese Avocado Shrimp Wontons. Yes I know you're mouth is watering. They're so easy and ohh so amazing. So New Years 2011 gift #2 another recipe... with pictures!


Just 4 ingredients and they're all in the name!

Let the cream cheese come to room temperature. Devein and peel the shrimp. Next throw the shrimp in a small sautee pan with a little oil. Season with whatever you have on hand. I used garlic powder, salt, pepper, no-salt-organic-everything-seasoning-that-isn't-any-good-until-you-add-salt-to-it, and a dash of Italian seasoning.


Cook the shrimp all the way. It should be pink and not translucent - don't over do it or your shrimp will be rubbery. Yuck!

While the shrimp is cooking mash up two ripe avocados. Add a block of the soften cream cheese and mix it up. You should end up with a beautiful light green.



Now you need to chop up the shrimp. Don't massacre it and turn it to mush, just chop it into tiny pieces. Then dump it into your avocado-cream cheese mixture and combine.


Mmmm I could eat this with a spoon.... Oops I forget the green onion. Chop up one sprig and throw it in. And while you're at it add 2-3 shakes of soy sauce. Mix it all up and set it aside.

Now grab your wonton wrappers. *I* find it helps to pull them apart and re-stack them first before your fingers get all gross. Next throw some corn starch in a small bowl with warm water. Keep the spoon in there because the corn starch tends to settle and you'll need to keep mixing it up.



Now the fun part. Take a dollop of the mixture and place it into the center of the wonton wraper. Fold it into a half moon shape pinching it in the middle. You can just pinch it closed all the way around of do it the traditional way making little folds. I have no idea how to explain how to do this - here's the link to the video my sister did. Just note that they stay closed better if you do it the fancy traditional way - this goes for any type of wonton.


After folding 54 of these little nuggets of goodness you can freeze them - HA like they'd survive for long, they're too good - or just go ahead and fry them up right away.

Enjoy! Sorry I don't have a picture of one fried for you, they got eaten ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment