Saturday, November 13, 2010

Because...

Because Thursday was Veteran's Day. Because Thanksgiving is in a few weeks. Because I felt like it I decided to put together a small care package for my friend Dennis. He's in Afghanistan and has been there or Iraq or other scary place I don't like think about for a long time now. Thanks to him and others like him my girls are growing up in a country where they can be who they want to be, live how they want to live and believe what they want to believe. Baking cookies is a small way to say "thanks".

I wanted to make white chocolate cranberry oatmeal cookies and good 'ole regular chocolate chip cookies. Only when I started baking I realized I had neither white chocolate chips nor cranberries. So I improves and the result was scrumptious! I made pomegranate chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, recipe at the bottom.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing
Some good 'ole fashion chocolate chip cookies


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing
Freezing the cookies before sending is supposed to keep them fresh. As is the individual wrapping.
My mom and I also stopped by the Asian market and bought some Thai goodies. At one point the questions of "How Thai is he?" came up. There are a LOT of Thai snacks and candies that I wont go near but they're as common as potato chips to truly Thai kids (and some farangs who grew up there). I played it safe and went with stuff I like.
Tomorrow the girls are going to draw "Mr. Dennis" some pictures and then on Monday we'll ship it off. Unfortunately the box Naughty 1 picked out to send the goodies to him in was not big enough
I hope everyone took the time to thank a veteran they know this past week. And I hope that those thanks don't fade away because it's no longer the designated holiday.

Pomegranate Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies:
(Adapted from an Ocean Spray recipe)

2/3 C Butter
2/3 C Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/2 C Oats
1 1/2 C Flour
1 t Baking Soda
1/2 t Salt
The seeds of half of a pomegranate**
2/3 C chocolate chips

1. Beat butter and Sugar
2. Add eggs
3. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients
4. Combine. Mix in pomegranate seeds and chocolate chips
5. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes (I recommend less time for a softer cookie)

**Here are directions for the best way to de-seed the pomegranate: http://coconutlime.blogspot.com/2006/11/how-to-de-seed-pomegranate.html

1 comment:

  1. Those cookies look amazing. And that was a really sweet post.

    ReplyDelete