Monday, October 25, 2010

Cooking and "Crapts" Sunday

This weekend was not relaxing - fun and filling with family and friends - but in no way, shape or form relaxing. Check back later for a post on "Witch Fest 2010" which was part of my adventure Saturday.

But this post is dedicated to a near perfect Sunday. Near perfect because breakfast was cereal and left over pizza. Perfect would have included bacon, eggs, and cinnamon rolls. After the measly breakfast the naughties and I hopped in the car and went to "Church School" i.e. Sunday School. This is always an exercise in stealth parenting. It requires the quick hand off and then hiding in the crowd or behind a pillar so Naughty 2 doesn't see me and freak out. After Church school comes the regular service. Which the girls were mainly good for.

After that we went over to my sister's house to cook and do "crapts". What you don't know what "crapts" are. Obviously it's the proper way to say crafts. Duh.

Lunch was "cow crook nuey" [if you have a better way of spelling this please let me know] - which is probably one of the best ever Lelanuja recipes. It involves 4 of my favorite foods - white rice, butter, bacon and eggs. MMMMMMMMMMM. It's seriously heaven in the form of a heart attack.


I've been promising to do "crapts" with the lovies for a while now so I picked out some easy Halloween "crapts" and the girls and I got to work. We made spooky ghosts and awesome jack-o-lanterns. We made the ghosts using a paper plate, some construction paper, streamers and glue. By the jack-o-lanterns mommy had wised up and replace the glue with double-sided tape.

After "crapting" I made a huge pot of my world famous (yes I can say this, thank you facebook) chili. Seriously it's so amazing it's almost wrong. It's a no-bean, texas style chili. It's hot and spicy and meaty and mmmmm. Recipe all the way at the bottom.


Then it was time for a little sitting so we watched How to Train Your Dragon... again. And it was just as funny as the first time. Probably one of my favorite cartoons of all times. It had a great plot, hysterical characters and dialog, and cute animation. You haven't seen it? Go watching.

Finally we got down to the serious cooking. Fresh pasta with my sister's new pasta attachment for her Kitchen Aide. We made Ricotta and Sausage Ravioli and some spaghetti  Well she did the majority of the work. She also made a pumpkin and blue cheese cream sauce which I loved and she hated. Check us out!




That's all for now. I must get to bed so I have time to read! Go make my chili... Now!

Texas Chili ala Tanya

This is a NO BEAN chili recipe. Supposedly texas chili is also a no tomato chili but that just sounded wrong to me so I ignored that part. I found two different recipes and melded them - the result was superb!!!!
1 lb ground beef
.5 lb sirloin steak - cut into cubes
1/2 a large or 1 small onion - chopped
4 cloves garlic - chopped
dump these ingredients in a pot until the meat is lightly browned and the onions are translucent
1.5 cups beef broth
1.5 -2 cups crushed tomatoes
1.5 T light chili powder
.5 T dark (extra spicy) chili powder
.5 T cumin
1 t paprika
.5 T cayene pepper (so I read this wrong it should have been half a TEAspoon - so mine is quite spicy)
1 t chicken granules
salt/pepper
dash of oregeno
add this and let simmer.
after it had simmered for like 45 minutes I tasted it and started adjusting, i added some garlic powder, onion powder, more salt and a dash of sugar.
it simmer for almost 2 hours. Add some corn bread and you've got a super good dinner on a cold day!!!!!!
I forgot flour - I put in a couple tablespoons of flour to thicken it up.

1 comment:

  1. That was a GREAT post! I can't wait to have time to cook again *sigh*

    ReplyDelete